collaboration expectations independence pride close location envelope facebook phone search teaching translate twitter watermark morepark our-lady st-anselms st-augustines st-edmunds st-eds gregory st-josephs visions trust-members whissendine exton-and-greentham glapthorn cottesmore-academy empingham great-casterton ketton langham st-nicholas uppingham polebrook
Search Close
Google Search
Translate Close
School Logo

Cottesmore Academy

Worried about a child?

Whether your worried about your own child or another child, this page will give you all the information you need. 


If you wish to discuss the welfare of a child at our school you should speak to one of our safeguarding leaders.


     Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL): Mrs Anneka Bellett (inclusion Leader and Assistant Head Teacher)

     Deputy DSL: Mrs Meg Lucas (Head Teacher)



Protecting children is everyone's responsibility.


If you are concerned about the welfare of a child you can contact the Children's Duty Team of the Local Authority. if you know the postal address of the child you should contact the local authority in which they live. 


Rutland County Council - click here or call 01572 758407

You may decide to contact the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000.

If you believe a child is in immediate danger then don't delay and call the POLICE on 999. 

Safeguarding advice for visitors



Have you agreed to have someone else's child stay with you? Are you a parent who has asked someone to take in your child? Do you think this arrangement may go on for 28 days or more, even with occasional breaks?


If the answer to these questions is 'yes' you may have made a private fostering arrangement.


This applies to all young people aged under 16 and all disabled young people aged under 18. It applies to all children living in the UK no matter which country they come from – even if they plan to return home one day. It is not private fostering if a child goes to stay with a grandparent, an aunt or uncle, a brother or sister or a stepparent. It is not private fostering if the child is just going to be away for a one-off period of a few days or even a week or two.


If you have made a private fostering arrangement you must do the following:


  • If you are the parent or carer then you must tell Children's Services six weeks before the child moves in.   

  • If the child is already living with the carer or about to arrive then let them know immediately.


If you are in any doubt about whether or not what you are doing is private fostering, call for advice.


If you work with young people and families and become aware of a private fostering arrangement you should advise the parent or carer to inform Children's Services and you should pass on their details.



The School Nurse Service is an all year round nurse-led health provision which promotes the holistic health of the school-aged population and is a central and accessible point of contact for children, young people and their families, to promote and support physical, emotional and social needs. 


Parents can contact the Team in the following ways:


By talking to the school - we can make a referral for you if you wish or


Contacting the Rutland School Nursing Team Office:


  • The Children’s Community House, Melton Mowbray Hospital, Thorpe Road, Melton Mowbray, LE13 1SH

Tel: 01664 855561


The school nursing website and other useful health related information is available at

Web links for other useful organisations (click on the address): (Living Without Abuse support) - Domestic Violence helpline 0808 802 0028 - ADHD solutions 0116 2610711 (Rutland Children's Centres) (Support for children's mental health and wellbeing concerns & issues) or 0808 800 2222 (Support for all aspects of family life) (Information on children's emotional and behavioural development)  and (Supporting bereaved children)

Contact Details and Useful Links