Maths Big Picture
The overarching aim for maths in our school is to foster love and spark curiosity and excitement in maths. We aim to nurture confidence in maths, have high standards of numerical fluency, mathematical thinking and problem-solving skills. We aim for all our children to see themselves as mathematicians.
We ensure that all pupils:
- Learn and understand the base ten numerical system and fluently count forwards and backwards to/from any given number.
- Acquire a wide mathematical vocabulary, understanding technical terms and being able to use them in context
- Gain fluency in their multiplication table facts as well as the mental ability to add and subtract numbers
- Develop the habit of using concrete, pictorial drawing or formal methods to accurately show calculation methods.
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- Reason and solve fraction, decimal, percentage, measurement and algebraic calculations.
- Understand statistics and geometry and how to apply problem solving skills and number knowledge to these contexts.