Art and Design
Art and Design Big Picture
Here at Cottesmore Academy, we want to enable all pupils to feel able to think and act creatively. That means exploring different aspects of creativity, exploring art for a variety of reasons and in a variety of contexts. At Cottesmore Academy, we want our children to enjoy the journey, so that pupils want to engage in creative activities, and so that they can grow to appreciate and value the importance of art.
We explicitly teach the skills needed to develop drawing and making as well as teaching the vocabulary and skills to evaluate and appreciate highly subjective art.
At Cottesmore Academy, we aim for our children to:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture, collage and printing techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists and craft makers and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Experience art for the sake of pure enjoyment and exploration of their feelings and responses
“Children see before they speak, make marks before they write, build before they walk. But their ability to appreciate and interpret what they observe, communicate what they think and feel, or make what they imagine and invent, is influenced by the quality of their art, craft and design education. “