Notes and Guidance
Children need to know and use the following facts:
• 1 foot is equal to 12 inches
• 1 pound is equal to 16 ounces
• 1 stone is equal to 14 pounds
• 1 gallon is equal to 8 pints
• 1 inch is approximately 2.5 cm
They should use these to perform related conversions, both within imperial measures and between imperial and metric.
Put these in order of size: 1 cm, 1 mm, 1 inch, 1 foot, 1 metre. How do you know?
When do we use imperial measures instead of metric measures?
Why are metric measures easier to convert than imperial measures?